Friday, August 17, 2007

Time With God

Today is a special day. It's just me alone with God! Jon-who is an awesome husband always pushing me towards closeness with God-wants to give me one day each month where I can leave the girls with him and go off for the day, spending it in prayer, reflection, Bible-reading, and anything else God wants from me (usually includes lots of singing!). I thought I would use my blog to journal some things that I feel God is showing me today.
I started off at the Caledonia Lakeside Park, where I sat on a park bench in front of a lake and was reminded of the beauty of God's creation. While there, I felt led to read from Ecclesiastes. The whole book is a bit cynical with King Solomon talking about how everything is meaningless. But, at the end, he finally says that we need to fear God and stand in awe of God, so that our lives are not meaningless. It was humbling to me to think that a man who had everything (riches, wisdom, fame) understood that life was not about things but about God. I have very little and I sometimes get caught up in the here and now and not the eternal. Jon read to me from a book last night where the author said, "We should fill our lives with the eternal and try to squeeze in the material". I know I very often am consumed with the material and totally forget the eternal. I asked the Lord to help me in this, to change my heart and thanked Him for giving us a spirit of discipline in order to actually change the things that need changed. When I left the house this morning, I asked God to encourage me during this day alone with Him and He reminded me that life is about Him and if I spend time with Him then I will then in turn be encouraged. It's like He was telling me that it starts with Him, not the other way around! But God is good and I AM feeling encouraged!

2 Comments:

Blogger Judah said...

wow amazing thank you for sharing. that has been my goal for along time, to have a day with just me and god. Not working out yet, but hopeful it will happen soon

10:34 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

WOW! I need to start do that for myself and sometime afraid that some people will think that we don't go to church to workshop with God, but we are God-believer as always in our heart.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home